My name is Dr Lizzie Rogers, and I’m a writer and an historian of the eighteenth century, specialising in gender, collecting, knowledge and the country house. I’ve worked in museums, been a tour guide, a public speaker, a podcast guest… all for the love of history and telling stories of the past!
Want to read more about my research? Click here.
I’ve loved writing, and writing about history, since I was pretty young – I blame my parents, who always took us to castles, museums and historic houses growing up. I found these places so interesting that when I was nine I wrote a “history” of the house I grew up in… somehow, it brought together Cleopatra, Robin Hood, and many royal visits… imaginative and inaccurate, it set me on a path to doing real historical research and writing about it along the way.
History Lizzie has been my blogging home since 2014, and I’ve been writing on and off on here ever since. It started as a way to write about things that interested me I picked up alongside my studies, and then I quickly realised I could write and learn about whatever I wanted… so if you like art, museums and historic sites, books, period drama, and stories of individual lives in the past, my blog is for you!
Like podcasts and longer articles? Click here to see what else I’ve been writing and speaking on.
And I best mention my love of Jane Austen… if you are a fan, then this is also a blog you’ll enjoy. I fell in love with Jane Austen watching the 1995 BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, first read the book on a family trip to Bath when I was nine (clearly nine years old was a key year for me!), and my parents even named me after Elizabeth Bennet – so there is plenty of Jane Austen content here, and also on my Instagram, where I post regularly and microblog.
Five things about me…
- I love music, and I make playlists for everything I’m doing, from writing, to riding to the beach, to cooking and drinking wine. Very embarrassingly (or perhaps impressively? I don’t know!) Spotify Wrapped told me I listened to almost 3 months of nonstop music in the last year… most of it was by George Harrison.
- My favourite historic places I’ve ever visited are Jane Austen’s House Museum at Chawton, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Paris and the Sistine Chapel. There are many, many places on my bucket list, but top of it is Machu Picchu in Peru.
- Outside of writing, I love painting. I’m hoping to open my own little paintings and print shop in 2022, with everything inspired by places and people of the past.
- I’m British and currently live in the charming city of Savannah, Georgia, in the southern United States. I love Savannah so much, and post about it regularly on Instagram – I think I need to do some guides to the city for my blog soon…
- I hoard shoes, and putting together outfits is one of my favourite things. I’ve always shied away from writing about this because I was once told I wouldn’t get taken seriously because of the way I dress… I’ve since realised this was ridiculous and am excited to share more of this and my historical fashion inspiration (I mean, it’s my corner of the internet, after all!)!
Chat to me…
Please get in touch here – I am always interested in discussing media work, consultation, guest writing or speaking and reviews – and don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!